Friday, September 10, 2010

Parental Medical Consent Form

I remember when I was growing up, I fell and hit my nose.  My nose started bleeding and nothing my grandmother did seemed to stop the bleeding.  It continued to bleed.  She rushed me to the emergency room and there we had to sit and wait for my mother to arrive.  Although, my grandmother was related to me, she did not legally have authorization to ok any medical services administered to me.  

I  recently was talking with a co-worker, who had her grand kids for a few days and one of the kids had a boo boo, which resulted in her taking him to the emergency room and him receiving a few stitches.  Luckily, she had a Parental Medical Consent Form, which authorized her to make medical decisions for them while in her care.

The form is used to authorize an adult to make medical and dental care decisions for your child(ren) when the parents are away.  I have previously given my parents authorization when I've gone on vacation without my son (rare) or when I've had to go on business travel.  I also, leave his medical card with them.

Without authorization, your child more than likely will face delays in receiving medical attention.  Also, if your child participates in any sports activity, sponsored by a school or community organization and you are not provided a medical authorization form to fill out, please request one and or fill out one and provide it to them.

The form does not need to be notarized, but it's more quickly accepted.  Here is one you can use.

No comments: