Thursday, September 10, 2009

Health Care Reform...Needed Yesterday!



All Americans!!!
Sounds like a good thing to me.

As I listened to President Obama's speech to Congress on the Health Care Reform, I thought about him. I thought if this was already in place "he" likely would be here today.

President Obama stated, "Everyone understands the extraordinary hardships that are placed on the uninsured, who live every day just one accident or illness away from bankruptcy. These are not primarily people on welfare. These are middle-class Americans. Some can't get insurance on the job. Others are self-employed, and can't afford it, since buying insurance on your own costs you three times as much as the coverage you get from your employer. Many other Americans who are willing and able to pay are still denied insurance due to previous illnesses or conditions that insurance companies decide are too risky or expensive to cover."

You see "he" was a "... middle-class American", who couldn't, "... get insurance on the job. " I was appalled to learn that the security company that employs the security guards for our building do not provide health insurance. I'm not certain if he tried to get insurance on his own, but I believe as President Obama stated, he probably couldn't "...afford it, since buying insurance on your own costs you three times as much as the coverage you get from your employer." The fact that he had diabetes, there is a strong possibility that he was/may have been denied insurance, "due to previous illnesses or conditions that insurance companies decide are too risky or expensive to cover."

I cried, as I listened to the speech. I thought of him, my grand-mother and others who are or those who had been struggling *suffering* through their lives due to not having health care or denied health care services.

He was always cheerful, always helpful. He was one of the security guards at my office building. One of the more personable ones...he didn't just greet you, he had conversations with you, he shared himself with you...

I saw him Friday, September 4, he spoke as I walked in my office building, I spoke and told him he looked tired. He said, he didn't feel well. I didn't hold a conversation with him as he didn't look up to it. I told him, I hoped he felt better and to try to get some rest over the weekend and he smiled.

As, Monday, September 7, was a holiday (Labor Day), I returned to work on Tuesday, September 8 and was told he'd passed that morning [complications due to his diabetes]. I couldn't believe it. I still can't.

He was 38 years old, a father of two children.
Our office building is taking up a collection in his memory in hopes to help his mother with his children and his burial. As, he did not have health insurance nor did he have life insurance!

So, America, I too believe we need Health Care Reform...like yesterday! When will "we"[America] start taking care of our own!

America, stop fighting before you even know what you're fighting about. It's not about black or white, rich or poor, young or old...it's about human lives...

Respect our President and give him a chance to explain the agenda before you get your blood pressure up [do you have health care?]. A rumor is just like a virus...stop it!

May you rest in peace Officer R. Matthews!

1 comment:

Fergie said...

Just stopping by to say hello ***WAVING***